We offer a wide range of activities and development opportunities for cadets and we are proud of the success of our cadets in national and international competitions.
All dates of activities are available on the fixture list and advertised on the weekly update.
Learn to sail
We offer a range of opportunities for our cadets to learn to sail. We ensure that all sessions have an excellent ratio of adult and cadet instructors for all our courses:
- Oppie sessions: Age 6+; 6 sessions/ year covering beginners, intermediate, advanced.
- RYA Youth Stage 1/2: Age 10+
- RYA Youth Stage 2/3: Age 10+
We offer a range of squads for cadets to enable them to progress after learning to sail. Each squad runs four sessions a year.
- Race Oppies: Once completed Advanced Oppie sessions or after RYA Stage 1/2
- Teras: the squad to progress to after Race Oppies
- Toppers: After Tera’s
- Fevas (double handed): When competent sailing Tera’s or Toppers
- Lasers: After Toppers, usually older teenagers. Need own boat.
Cadet Sailing Sessions
We run five sessions a year with a variety of fun water-based activities. The sessions are open to cadets of all abilities, including those just beginning their sailing.
Club racing is an excellent opportunity for cadets to practice theirs skills and learn from other sailors in the club.
- Every week: Club boats are available and can be booked at the Race Box. Watch the forecast and give it a go!
- Cadet/Novice/ Ladies/ Master races: Extra coach boat on water to assist with beginner racers.
Dinghy Week is the club’s major event of the year for cadets, and takes place during 1 week in August – the chosen date reflects the timing of the tides. Cadets enjoy a week of cadet sailing for children of Intermediate/ Advanced Oppie level and above. You must be able to rig and sail on your own.
JETS is a progamme of Topper winter coaching based across Hill Head and four other local clubs for those who have had a season topper sailing. More details under the Learn section.
We believe that all of our cadets should have the opportunity to pass on their skills and knowledge to other cadets and adults. This builds their knowledge of sailing and confidence in engaging with people of all ages:
- RYA Assistant Instructor course: 1-day course
- Oppie instructing: After completed Advanced Oppies assist teaching younger children
- Onboard Sessions: Helming boats, to give Community groups a try out at sailing. Weekday evenings approx. 3x year.
Our cadet social team organise a variety of different social events over the year.
Other courses and opportunities
We encourage our cadets to take part in the full life of the club, including:
- RYA Youth Powerboat Level 1 course: Age 14 for youths that have assisted with teaching over the year.
- RYA First Aid course
- Assistant Race Officer training (a great opportunity for improving your own racing)
- RYA Dinghy Instructor, for ages 16 and over.
- RYA Race Coach course